Not surprisingly, the current issue of Sport’s Illustrated is focused on the 00′s and all the sport’s stuff that has occurred over the past decade. In reading through the “Scorecard” section this morning, I couldn’t help but laugh out loud at some of the quotes listed. They were certainly Yogi Berra worthy and I thought I would share a few of them. Enjoy!
- Rich Glas – Basketball coach at Div II North Dakota, on motivating his team before a game with #4-ranked Kansas: “I told our guys, ‘they put their pants on the same way we do. They just pull them up two feet higher.’ “ Gotta love a coach with a sense of gallows humor
- George W. Bush – Upon meeting Arizona Diamondbacks general manager Joe Garagiola Jr.: “I’m always suspicious of guys who’ve got a famous father.” Say what?
- Jesse Rogers – Cubs radio broadcaster, while interviewing relief pitcher Antonio Alfonseca, who has 6 fingers on each hand: “Were you born that way?” Don’t you just love this brainiac?
- Michael Vick – Falcon’s (at the time) QB, on the secret of his success: “I have two weapons–my legs, my arm and my brains.” At least he wasn’t quoted talking about dogs…
- Mike Heimerdinger – Titan’s offensive coordinator, on why he’s never gotten an NFL head coaching job: “They’re looking for big names, not long names.” That might change as this could be the year for Dinger to get his shot.
- Anna Kournikova – Tenis vixen, when asked about her love life at a press conference to promote the undergarments she endorses: “I’m not here to talk about my personal life. I’m here to talk about bras.” Thankfully, her looks could only take her so far…and she has faded away from the tennis scene.
- John Daly – To FHM, on why he doesn’t go to the gym: “They won’t let smoke in there.” What a waste of talent. Very sad actually…
- Doc Rivers – Celtics coach, after being asked how long Kevin Garnett would be out with a strained abdominal muscle: “You know Doc’s a nickname, right?” A classic one-liner!
- Mike Cameron – Met’s outfielder, dismissing the problems caused by the sun at Shea Stadium: “The sun has been there for 500, 600 years.” So, Mike, where was the sun before that?
- Guy Morriss – Baylor football coach on tight games: “Playing close is like showering with your sister. It’s no good.” And people say Baylor has gotten too liberal…
Just gotta love some of the stuff sports people say. What’s one of your favorite “say what?” sports quote?